PLEASE SEE THE 1 MINUTE CLIP and then read ahead.
Few weeks ago a friend put up the link to the above video on his status update on GTalk.
Although it talks about grad students and Ph.D's, the crux of the joke is on people who have studied too much with an expectation to earn a lot of money, but fail to do so!
Being an MBA (why? why? why?) I really felt a severe pinch after watching the clip. Look at us MBAs, we call ourselves suavely educated and can't land up even decent paying jobs (forget hi flying jobs)
This further reminded me of a talk I listened by Sir Ken Robinson, an educator. (link to his video) It is peppered with doses of fantastic humour.
I have put the excerpts of the talk for the people who feel watching the video is not feasible for them.
- It's really true where he says that education today produces 'cogs for wheels', not the 'driver of the cart'. He delves into the world history education system and concludes that the education system today is imparting the us the wrong education. The way we are educated is archaic and will produce unhappy individuals.It came into existence to meet the need of industrialism in the 18thcentury when there were no public education systems.
- Creativity is OUR future
- He mentions that we dont know how the world will look in 5 years time. and the children who are educated today will retire in 2065..we are teaching them today's methods for a future that we have no idea for!
- Creativity is as important in education as literacy and we should treat it with the same status.
- If you're not prepared to be wrong, you can never come out with anything original and by the time we are adults, most kids have lost that capacity!
- We have become frightened to be wrong because we stigmatize mistakes. The result is that we are educating people out of their true capacities.
- All children are born artists. the problem is to remain one as we grow up, if we dont grow into creativity, we grow out of it!
- Every eduction system in the world has the same hierarchy of subjects.
- Maths and Sciences
- Hierarchy in Human Arts
- There isn't an education system in the world which teaches dance everyday to children the way we teach them maths! WHY NOT?
- UNESCO report states that in the next 30 years more people, worldwide will be graduating through education since the beginning of known history. SUDDENLY DEGREES AREN'T WORTH ANYTHING. It's a process of academic inflation. It indicates the whole structure of education system is shifting beneath our feet.
- Our education system has mined our mind like how we mine the earth...for a particular commodity (minerals). We need to change!
- INTELLIGENCE is
- dynamic / interactive
- We need to harness our creative capacities.
- We may not see this future, but our children will, and our job is to help them to make something of it...
So, tell me......................Are we there yet? When will we understand it?